- The hyper-competitive nature of the financial industry has led to the proliferation of white-collar crime and the lack of well-intentioned financial advisors.
- One overly-saturated area of finance is debt consolidation, which targets mostly-young debt holders such as college students.
- One overly saturated area of finance is debt consolidation, which targets mostly young debt holders such as college students.
- Plagiarism in online articles is becoming all-too-common.
- Plagiarism in online articles is becoming all too common.
|Phrasal verb used for action (not hyphenated)
|Phrasal verb used as noun (hyphenated/single word)
|The teacher had to boot up his computer.
|The boot-up took longer than usual.
|The dealer will bring in the chips to the game.
|The poker player had to pay the bring-in.
|The fund manager tried to break down the cash statement.
|The trading floor listened to the daily breakdown on the news
|The trader was not the only one to mix up the order.
|The boss had to stay late to solve the mixup.
- Most anti-bacterial soaps are effective at killing germs.
- The self-service counter was very popular with customers.
- He hadn’t seen his ex-girlfriend in many years.
|Prefixes used without a hyphen
|Prefixes used with a hyphen
|The celebrity signed the autograph.
|The student was on auto-pilot all day.
|The scientist used the microscope.
|The micro-scale model was too small.
|The employee was proactive in finishing work.
|The official was very pro-government.
|The nonprofit organization helped sick children.
|The foundation became non-profit after getting a grant.
- The Egyptian sculpture dated back to pre-1200 BC.
- The mid-December time period is hectic due to Christmas.
- The post-WWII period was one of great economic growth.
- The strength-to-weight ratio needs to be increased.
- The phase-contrast microscope will be delivered soon.
- The researcher used Python to analyze the time-dependent variable.
- Her father-in-law did not appreciate her cooking.
- The editor-in-chief rejected the headline.
|The worker decided to resign her contract.
|The worker did not renew her employment.
|The worker decided to re-sign her contract.
|The worker did renew her employment.
|His wallet had twenty five dollar bills.
|$100 total in bills.
|His wallet had twenty-five dollar bills.
|$25 total in bills.
|He just saw a man eating chicken.
|He saw a human male eating some chicken.
|He just saw a man-eating chicken.
|He saw a monstrous chicken that eats humans.