- The hyper-competitive nature of the financial industry has led to the proliferation of white-collar crime and the lack of well-intentioned financial advisors.
- One overly-saturated area of finance is debt consolidation, which targets mostly-young debt holders such as college students.
- One overly saturated area of finance is debt consolidation, which targets mostly young debt holders such as college students.
- Plagiarism in online articles is becoming all-too-common.
- Plagiarism in online articles is becoming all too common.
|Phrasal verb used for action (not hyphenated)||Phrasal verb used as noun (hyphenated/single word)|
|The teacher had to boot up his computer.||The boot-up took longer than usual.|
|The dealer will bring in the chips to the game.||The poker player had to pay the bring-in.|
|The fund manager tried to break down the cash statement.||The trading floor listened to the daily breakdown on the news|
|The trader was not the only one to mix up the order.||The boss had to stay late to solve the mixup.|
- Most anti-bacterial soaps are effective at killing germs.
- The self-service counter was very popular with customers.
- He hadn’t seen his ex-girlfriend in many years.
|Prefixes used without a hyphen||Prefixes used with a hyphen|
|The celebrity signed the autograph.||The student was on auto-pilot all day.|
|The scientist used the microscope.||The micro-scale model was too small.|
|The employee was proactive in finishing work.||The official was very pro-government.|
|The nonprofit organization helped sick children.||The foundation became non-profit after getting a grant.|
- The Egyptian sculpture dated back to pre-1200 BC.
- The mid-December time period is hectic due to Christmas.
- The post-WWII period was one of great economic growth.
- The strength-to-weight ratio needs to be increased.
- The phase-contrast microscope will be delivered soon.
- The researcher used Python to analyze the time-dependent variable.
- Her father-in-law did not appreciate her cooking.
- The editor-in-chief rejected the headline.
|The worker decided to resign her contract.||The worker did not renew her employment.|
|The worker decided to re-sign her contract.||The worker did renew her employment.|
|His wallet had twenty five dollar bills.||$100 total in bills.|
|His wallet had twenty-five dollar bills.||$25 total in bills.|
|He just saw a man eating chicken.||He saw a human male eating some chicken.|
|He just saw a man-eating chicken.||He saw a monstrous chicken that eats humans.|